Loukoumades With Organic Manuka Honey
Gluten and dairy-free Greek Doughnut Recipe with Walnuts and Organic Manuka Honey.
Loukoumades is the Greek version of a doughnut, it is a sugar-free recipe that anyone can make. Bite-sized balls of dough deep-fried until golden, then drizzled in aromatic Organic Manuka Honey and sprinkled with finely chopped walnuts.
Makes 24 Small doughnuts
1 cup rice flour
1 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup cornflour (corn starch)
2 teaspoons psyllium husk
1 teaspoon salt
1 Sachet instant yeast (8g)
1 Tbs TranzAlpine Organic Manuka Honey
240 ml tepid water
1,5 L oil for deep frying (rice bran oil, canola oil, grape seed oil)
1/2 cup TranzAlpine Organic Manuka Honey, warm
2 Tbs chopped toasted walnuts
Pinch of cinnamon powder
- Combine water, honey and yeast in a mixing bowl. Mix well using a whisk. Let it stand until foam appears on the surface, which will take 5-10 minutes
- Combine rice flour, buckwheat flour, cornflour, psyllium husk and salt in a big bowl, make a well in the centre. Add the yeast mixture, and mix until the dough forms. Add another tablespoon of water during the kneading process if the dough is too dry
- Place the dough in the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour (depends on the temperature in your kitchen)
- Knock back the dough, and using a dough scraper or a chef’s knife divide it into 3 equal pieces. Form each piece into a log, then divide into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece in a ball, then place on a baking paper-lined sheet, leaving about 5cm between each ball. Drape a piece of plastic wrap over the baking sheet (do not seal tightly).
Let the dough rise until doubled, about 30 minutes – 1 hour
- Pour cooking oil into a 3L capacity saucepan to deep fry the loukoumades. Place a kitchen thermometer on the side of the saucepan. Heat the oil on medium heat until 160C
- Dip a tablespoon in some oil, shake it a bit to remove any excess. It is best to dip the spoon in the oil and not water. Using the spoon, grab the dough ball off your hand and let it drop in the hot oil carefully. Repeat this procedure until the surface of the pan is comfortably filled.
Stir your loukoumades around with a slotted spoon for several minutes until they are golden brown all over
- When done, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate or bowl and repeat until all the dough has been used.
Serve on a platter, drizzle with the honey and sprinkle with cinnamon and chopped walnuts.